How to Clean a Marble Countertop
How to Clean Carrara Marble
Carrara marble is a white marble quarried in the Carrara region of Italy. It is prized for its white appearance and high quality. Like other marbles, Carrara marble needs to be taken care of and cleaned in a special way. This is because a wide variety of products can damage the marble or transform its appearance. Ultimately, though, by performing routine cleaning, removing stains, and taking steps to safeguard the marble, you’ll be better prepared to care for Carrara marble.
Performing Everyday Cleaning
Wipe down the surface with warm water.In most cases, your daily cleaning won’t require more than a simple wipe down with warm water. To do this, take a clean microfiber cloth, wet it with warm water, and systematically wipe the marble.
- Switch out your cloth for a clean one when it gets dirty.
Make a cleaning solution with mild dish soap and water.Some days you may need more than warm water to clean your marble. In this case, create a solution of water and dish detergent. Take several cups of warm water and add a couple teaspoons of detergent.
- The amount of detergent/soap may vary based on the specific product.
- Make sure your detergent/soap is not fat-based. This could alter the color of the marble.
- You can consider buying a soap or cleaning product especially formulated for Carrara marble.
Wipe down the marble with your soap solution.After you’ve made your solution, dampen a clean cloth and wipe down the marble systematically. Make sure to push debris toward one end of the marble and then remove it. Make sure you don’t leave any debris or excess suds on the marble.
Use a clean damp cloth to remove soap residue.After you’ve wiped down the marble with your detergent solution, take a wet a clean cloth and wipe down the marble again. This will help remove soap residue from the marble surface.
Pick a marble poultice.There are a wide variety of poultice products you can use to remove stains from Carrara marble. Poultice will help draw out moisture and stains from the marble.
- You can purchase poultices at a home improvement store in your community.
- Some popular poultices for Carrara marble include: Fuller’s earth, whiting, diatomaceous earth, talc, and powdered chalk.
- Most all poultices should work to effectively remove stains from your marble.
Apply the poultice.Make sure the area is clean and dry before you apply any poultice. Use a plastic or wood putty knife or spatula to spread the poultice over the stained area. The poultice spread should be about 1/4 of an inch to ½ of an inch thick (6.35 ml to 12.7 ml).
Cover the poultice with plastic wrap.After you've applied the poultice, you need to cover it with plastic wrap for one to two days. The plastic wrap will make sure the poultice doesn't make a mess or dry out. The one to two days will give the poultice time to draw out the stain.
- Avoid letting the poultice sit for any longer than two days. This could damage your marble.
Remove the poultice.After you’ve allowed it to sit for one to two days, use a putty knife or spatula to remove the poultice. It’s important to remove all the poultice after you’ve let it sit. If you don’t, you could wind up damaging your marble.
- Use a rag dampened in a warm water and soap/detergent mixture to remove any residual poultice.
Repeat application of the poultice.Some stains may remain after your initial application of poultice. As a result, you may need to reapply it. Reapplying the poultice will very likely lighten or remove the stain that remained after you first applied it.
- Avoid applying poultice to the same spot more than two or three times. This could permanently damage the marble.
- Consult a professional if a repeat application of poultice does not remove a stain.
Avoiding Damage to Your Marble
Test poultice and cleaner before using.Pick a hidden or inconspicuous spot on the marble and do a test clean. This is important, as some products may etch or discolor marble. In the end, it’s better to perform a test than to ruin your entire marble floor or countertop.
- Wait at least 24 hours after testing. This will give you enough time to see if the product has harmed the marble.
- Consider testing poultice or other cleaning products underneath the granite where it overhangs a cabinet.
Avoid acidic cleaners and strong chemicals.There are a wide variety of household products that could damage your marble simply by making contact. As a result, you need to avoid these products. They include:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Lemon, orange, or other citrus cleaners
- Cleaners that are acidic
Hire a professional to seal your marble regularly.While sealing your marble won’t protect it completely from staining, it will decrease the likelihood of some staining. As a result, you should have your Carrara marble sealed when installed and resealed regularly.
- You may need to reseal your marble after three to five years.
- Polished Carrara marble may not need to be sealed.
- Honed Carrara marble should always be sealed. If it is not sealed, it will absorb any liquids that are spilled on it.
QuestionWhat happens if vinegar was used on Carrara marble to clean the surface?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFirst, rinse it off with water to remove any vinegar that remains. Then, make a paste using baking soda and water. Dampen the surface of the marble above the stain with pure water, apply the paste over the spill, and cover the paste with plastic wrap.Thanks!
How do I get rid of a cloudy stain out of italian marble which is caused by persiration?
How do I clean glass rings and other stains from my carrara marble counter top?
Video: Marble Bianco Carrara removing deep oil stains
10 Reasons to Consider Hiring a Personal Trainer
Daniel Arsham x Stampd T-Shirts
Everything We Know About The Love Actually Sequel So Far
Tysabri Preserves Upper-Limb Function in Secondary-Progressive MS
Coffee break catch-up: Watch Olivia Palermo model Oscar De La Renta, Rihanna for MAC Cosmetics,more
14 Grossest Beauty Things Every Woman Does
5 Foods That Trigger Headaches
How to Cover Up a Bruise
15 Easy Ways to Beat Anxiety Now
Distracted by Others at the Gym
How to Lose Weight Eating Delicious Fast Food
How Our Gender Roles Are Evolving For the Better Good
Vitajuwel Adore Via Water Bottle
Are You Drinking Too Much Sparkling Water
The Fittest Personality Type