HOW TO AVOID SOMEONE
How to Avoid Someone
Managing relationships is always difficult, and sometimes the best thing to do is to just get away from the person for a period of time. Avoiding someone shouldn’t be a permanent solution and it shouldn’t be a way to avoid addressing a problem with someone. However, if you really need to be away from someone there are certain strategies that can help.
Removing Someone Toxic From Your Life
Evaluate how necessary it is to remove someone from your life.Are they only a minor annoyance? If you don't feel like your interactions with this person are greatly affecting your quality of life, then maybe you can take a less dramatic route.
- If someone is annoying and you don't want to hang out with them anymore you can just stop answering their calls and talking to them as much. Don't hang out in the same places or talk to them and pretty soon they will get the hint.
Tell them you don’t want to interact with them anymore.This is an incredibly difficult conversation to have and it is inherently hurtful. Try to be as calm about the situation as you can be. Don’t blame the person or get angry, just try to be firm in your decision. Tell them your reason and then leave. Don’t let yourself get drawn into a long discussion - if you are making this decision you should be completely sure before you say anything.
- You have the right to tell someone you don’t want to be around them anymore, but don’t expect them to take it well.
- This is obviously very difficult for a lot of people. However, if you decide it's really important that you don't speak to this person anymore it's more respectful to tell them in person rather than let the relationship fade out. For example, tell them that you don't think your friendship or relationship is a good fit anymore, and that you would like some space. Tell them that you hope you can be friends down the line, but for now you don't want to talk to them anymore.
Cut off lines of communication.Do not continue to text the person or call them or sit next to them. Once you have made it clear you don’t want to spend time with that person you must follow through on your statement. If you are wishy-washy you will confuse the person and make the process much more difficult. Once again, try to avoid being rude and hateful to the person.
Consider a court order.If the person is a real threat to you or the people around you it might be a good idea to consider a restraining order. This is an order that you can get from a court to legally restrict the person from coming near you. This is obviously a very extreme step to take. Only pursue this option if you feel truly threatened and unsafe.
- The first step is to file a claim at a local courthouse and review your claim with a judge. They will help you from there.
Avoiding a Toxic Person
Avoid places where this person is most likely to be.Where do they hang out? Where do they live? What areas are they most likely to be in? If they are at your school, where do they hang out at breaks? The more you know about the person's whereabouts, the better you can stay away from them.
Switch up your routine slightly.You shouldn’t change your whole life, but if you’re avoiding someone it is probably a tense period of time for both of you. If they always go to the same coffee shop as you, maybe you should check out another coffee shop for a few weeks. Don’t dramatically alter your life, but it might be a good idea to switch up your routine to see less of this person.
Ignore the person.Do not make eye contact with this person. This might make them want to come over and talk to you. If you pass the person on the street it’s perfectly reasonable to act like you haven’t seen them. If you are obviously walking directly past each other, just nod your head at them and keep moving. You don’t need to pretend the other person doesn’t exist, but don’t invite any further interaction.
Avoid situations where you will be alone with this person.If this person is your coworker or peer you may be forced to spend time around them. However, you can ensure that you only are ever around them in groups. Don’t stay late working at your office if they are also there. If you are at a party and they are there, stay in rooms with many other people. This will help you avoid having to deal with another confrontation or interaction with the person.
Have an escape plan and stay firm.If you’ve already told the person you don’t want to interact with them anymore and they keep trying to talk to you, think of an escape route. Try to be polite like if he/she comes and talks to you. Do not try to offend the person, but be very direct. You have the right to tell someone that you don’t want to spend any time with him or her anymore.
- If they still won’t leave you alone, make up an excuse such as, "I'm really sorry, I'm late,"
Continuing to Live Your Life
Don’t let this person change your life dramatically.It’s not a bad idea to switch up your routine in small ways to avoid seeing this person. However, you shouldn’t constantly be in fear of running into the person. Just because you have a bad relationship doesn’t mean that you should totally change your life around.
- For example, it’s not a huge deal to go to the gym an hour earlier or later if you know they will be there at a certain time. However, you shouldn’t have to quit your job or drop a class at school to avoid seeing them.
Feel comfortable in your surroundings.Surround yourself with the people that you do want to spend time with.This person is no longer a part of your life, so move on and don’t let their presence affect you. Have a good time with your friends and be who you are. Do the things that you like to do with the people you like being around.
- For example, don’t let your interactions with this person you want to avoid change your personality. Be the bigger person and don't be intimidated.
Move on.At some point you might have to move on from whatever anger you hold toward this person. Once a certain period of time has passed they will understand that you want nothing to do with them. You should be able to have a civil conversation with the person, especially if you work with them. Don’t spend any more time around them than you have to. However, once the emotions of the situation have calmed down hopefully they can become a much more minor issue in your life.
- Determine if this person can reenter your life. If you don't find yourself constantly worrying about the relationship anymore, it might be okay to let this person back into your life slowly. If you were in an intimate relationship with someone and then you got hurt you have to wait until the intimacy has completely faded. Once you don't feel anything for the person anymore maybe you can start interacting with them at public gatherings.
QuestionHow do I let someone know I don't want to be friends anymore because she was using and insulting me?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerConfront her privately. Tell her calmly and politely exactly why you're ending the friendship. Don't get angry, try to be the more mature person. Tell her you wish her the best, but you feel like the friendship is unhealthy because she is mistreating you and not valuing you as a friend.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I avoid someone if he constantly stalks me?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCall the police and get a restraining order. Stalking is not safe.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I avoid someone who really wants to be with me?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMake sure you tell the person that you don't want anything to do with them. Surround yourself with your friends and loved ones instead.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I forget a person completely if I cannot avoid them?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou won't be able to forget them completely, but you can focus on not caring about them anymore.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I avoid someone who keeps breaking up with me and then coming back?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust don't let him/her back into your life. Make it absolutely clear that it is over. If he or she is stalking you, speak to the police about a restraining order.Thanks!
QuestionI always end up in the same place and there is no way to get out of it and he and all his friends are going to be there. How do I avoid him?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTalk to his friends, but not him. If you are uncomfortable with his friends, then just physically maintain distance from all of them and get out your phone, a book or something else to look at until one of your friends turns up. When your friends turn up, stay with them and continue to stay away from the guy.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I avoid someone at school who walks around school looking for me in the morning?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBe with another friend of your or go to places he/she wouldn't go to. Go to class early and hang out with everyone there as protection.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I avoid someone that takes the same school bus and is in the same class as me?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSit as far away from this person as possible, both on the bus and in class. Besides that, follow the above tips.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I can't change my routine, not even slightly?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThat's a tough issue. Assuming you have no way to get out of your current routine, creatively find a way to just keep your distance. If you both go to the same gym at the same time, take a different route and exercise in a different room. If you work together, be distantly polite and avoid them as much as you can. If you end up in the same places, have glazed eyes near them and refuse to connect.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I avoid someone that I go to school with when I am in his class? He keeps asking if I want to fight him.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt will be impossible to totally avoid him, but you can minimize your interaction with him by hanging out with one (or, preferably, several) friends. He's less likely to approach you threateningly if you're not alone. Don't let him bully you into immature behavior like fighting that will likely only get you both into trouble. If he taunts you, calmly shake your head, tell him you don't have time for this, and walk away.Thanks!
How do I avoid people who gossip and like to get involved in drama?
How can I avoid a friend who really cares me and telling lies?
If you want to avoid someone, it’s best if you can calmly tell the person that you don’t want to be around them anymore. Don’t call or text the person, and avoid going places where you know that person is going to be. For example, if you know that they eat lunch at a certain spot a few times a week, try not to go there during lunch time. If you do find yourself around them, just try to ignore them as much as possible until you can get away.
- Try to make the person realize you don't want to talk to them. If they talk to you say something like "Sorry, I have to meet Sally at the gym in five minutes."
- In extremely hostile cases get a legal document such as a restraining order, this will make it clear to the other person you want no contact.
- Ask a friend to help you. You can have them step in between you and that person to stop any possible conversations.
- If they are continuously bugging you tell them how you feel and why you’re avoiding them. Address the situation honestly.
- Do not try to interfere when they speak. Be a patient listener. This will certainly keep both of you at peace and the situation won't be made worse.
- Be polite and stay with your friends. If you live with a mean or annoying person just leave them alone.
- Once again, don't purposely try to offend anyone.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Русский: , Português: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Deutsch: , Nederlands:
Video: How to avoid someone, you don’t want to talk with? Public speaking tips | Increase confidence
How to Add a Wall Switch to Light Fixture Controlled by a Chain
How to Practice Vipassana Meditation
Bone-Marrow Diseases and Anemia
40 All White Outfits For Men – Cool Clean Stylish Looks
How to Tell Your Parents You Want to Be a Vegan or Vegetarian
How to Avoid Someone
How To Wear Jeans To The Office ( Look Trés Chic)
How to Make Pepper Spray
GucciGram Tian: The Second Chapter of Gucci’s Instagram Project
21 Spring Style Staples Every Man Should Own
Amazons updated Fire TV Stick is fast, cheap, and perfect for Prime members